Tuesday, July 19, 2016

YES - AND...



A few Saturday mornings ago, I was listening to the radio and an actor was being interviewed. She was in our city for the annual High Performance Rodeo festival. Okay I admit I wasn't really listening until - I heard the words the words "Yes, and..." Then my ears perked up. The actor went on to elaborate that the phrase "Yes, AND..." is a foundation block of Improv Theatre.

YES - Accepting of the invitation.
 AND - engaging and carrying the dialogue forward.

And because Improv can throw us unexpected curves - we must listen.

YES - AND...

These are the exact two words I have been struggling to understand ever since I started my Improv Handbook of Modern Quilters exercise.


I turned to Dr Google to learn more. Two little words that can have all sorts of applications from theatre to quilting to being a better boss. Two little words wading into uncharted waters. Unfolding, uncertain, perilous, uncomfortable. On the other hand - delightful, playful, unconventional. Sometimes scandalous. Heartfelt. Taking risks. Free fall.



Yes! - AND... abandon preconceived ideas of where we will end up. We are in the middle of the journey and it is unfolding. We are part of a collaboration between ourselves, our fabrics, our tools.



Yes! AND... carry the scene / quilt forward.



Link to WIP Wednesday - needle and thread network. 







6 comments:

  1. Yes - and I can't wait to see where this is going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Progress is slow - but sometimes I just need to step back and let things marinate a bit!

      Delete
  2. So much more powerful and positive than 'Yes, but ...'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - it definitely helps one to move forward!

      Delete
  3. Love your floating squares. Looking forward to see where you go next.

    ReplyDelete