Saturday, March 2, 2013

Happy March 2nd! (aka) Happy Saturday!


This is just a quicky post to let you know where I am on the stitch-ey side of life. Lots of new projects on the horizon - now that I'm actually viewing some of the online classes I signed up for during the "great 50% off classes" event over at Craftsy on Black Friday.

Having spent all that moo-la, it is only natural that I would be working on the one "free class" I had in my basket - the 2013 Craftsy BOM. I have a FQ bundle called "Wordplay" (by Benartex) that's been sitting  (languishing?) in my stash for a while now, and this looked like a good option for it. Of course once I got started I realised I hadn't enough suitable background fabric so off I went to the shop. I also discovered they have more of the WordPlay fabric if I get desperate (Except for the 1 FQ I really want).


But I digress...

I put my blade to fabric and got cutting a few weekends ago as I was already 1 month behind. January's block is called "Offset Log Cabin". Offset in that the widths of the strips vary. I've never done log cabin as I was afraid to just "try it". It's a great block for fearful first timers... and it's nice to see how flipping the blocks can create different looks over all. (See below).


I fussy cut the centre square - but I'm not sure it was worth the effort. Would likely have been more noticeable if the object was a little birdie or something.


The February block is called "Spring Blooms" I suppose it looks like a flower. The skill being taught for this block was "partial seams." I really enjoyed this block - and I finally took the time to figure out exactly where the "scant 1/4 inch" sweet spot is on my sewing machine (I have "saved" this into the machines memory bank as well).

I practised my strip piecing and cutting techniques...


... and ended up with a block that fit together perfectly!


Last but not least my reverse side pressing fit together like a perfect puzzle! I am delighted!




I peeked ahead to see what my March block assignment was - but was told "No peeking!"... will need to get back there soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment